I have received a few "anonymous" comments to this blog since starting it over 6 months ago. Usually, they are read and ignored because I feel that if someone isn't willing to own up to what they have to say, then it must not be very important. However, I received one today and decided to answer one of his/her questions. When I worked at Hewlett Packard, we would have occasional "coffee talks". These were large meetings of an organization where some planned topics would be discussed before the leader of the meeting would often ask, "what rumors have you heard that I can refute or validate?" So, in that spirit of openness, I will attempt to answer one of these questions. "Is the Church in Trouble? " This depends. I capitalized the word, Church, as the question was written. So, I will give two answers: one for the global Church and the other for the local church (Central Community). The global Church. If being "in trouble" means that ...
Many of you may know that I have been planning for many months to go to Uganda. After many changes of flights, we finally ended up with a start date of yesterday morning - waaaaay too early in the morning. We arrived at the airport and discovered that our flight was cancelled which threw the team into uncertainty. Fourteen of us (another 2 had planned to come 2 days later) were at the mercy of Northwest Airlines and Delta. After more than a few flight plans and changes, we ended up splitting the team into 2 primary groups. The first group (I'm on this one) leaves today and will arrive in Uganda on Tuesday afternoon. The second group leaves early tomorrow (Monday) and arrives Tuesday evening. Our group has a more circuitous route through Dubai and Ethiopia and the other groups follows our original route straight from Amsterdam through to Uganda. Why go? We listen to the stories of those who've gone before and desire to make a difference - to be a part of something greate...
A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to help out with the Parking Ministry and rode around in a golf cart giving rides to folks who had some distance to walk from their cars to the church building. Then suddenly, I had to be careful not to be hit by those leaving the church parking lot after Sunday School. This leads to my question: If folks go to Sunday School but do not attend one of the larger congregational worship opportunities, are they fully a part of the church? While these folks typically attend faithfully and serve regularly within the constraints of their Sunday School class, here are some of the reasons offered for their departure: The time between the end of Sunday School and their preferred style of worship (more traditional) is over 30 minutes and, for some, it's physically too long to sit. Their preferred worship service is often longer than the planned 75 minutes and therefore releases sometimes closer to 12:30pm. While their preferred service is described as ...
Comments