Criticism

In this blog, Michael McKinney reminds us that even the greatest leaders endure unjust criticisms. Some of the anonymous comments I've received are interesting illustrations of this.

In the recent study of One Month To Live, Here are the questions over which I ponder:
Does fear of comments, opinions, and criticisms from those we lead hold us back as leaders from doing what we know to be right? I'm so thankful that Lincoln didn't give up because of all the criticism and negativity that swirled around him. He knew himself, his motives, and the weight of duty he alone bore for the country - and wasn't going to let anything or anyone stand in his way of doing what needed to be done.

So, if we do fear the opinion and potential criticism of those we lead, then why? Margaret Mitchell wrote: Until you've lost your reputation, you never realize what a burden it was.

The losing, in the sense that I take it, is decreasing the value we place upon it with regard to others. Whether we call it reputation, image, or whatever, as a Christ-focused leader, our reputation with Him should be the only one we care about. In this OMTL study, I realized that my "reputation" with Christ should be the only one that really matters - which brings a second quote to illustrate this point (this one by Dr. Suess):

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

In the case of Jesus, who is the One who matters, He already knows how I think, what I'm going to say, and what truly motivates me. Therefore, if Jesus is truly the only one who matters, then in what ways is the maturity and growth of our leadership stunted by misguided fear? What decisions have you and I to make that we're not because the opinion of those we think matter really don't?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Storehouse of Goodness

Lessons of Trust

Who is your king?