More thoughts on a Dark Knight

I wrote in an earlier post about my response to the recent movie, Dark Knight. Since then, I've spoken with others of their reaction, specifically, to the character of the Joker. It's easy to minimize this character as an anarchist or even a sociopath or psychopath. However, if we seek to understand our lives as that which is lived on a spiritual battleground - battling for our souls and the souls of others - then maybe we can this opportunity to learn from this character as much as we can about how we are to be aware of and react to that which is evil.

What prompted this post was two reactions that tested my reaction to the movie. One of the folks on staff and my oldest son observed that they found themselves liking the Joker. The testing for me came with my deeper response that I, too, found myself wanting to like this guy. For example, in one scene, the Joker painted this picture of an abusive father who scarred a smile upon the Joker's face. However, later in another scene, the Joker offered a different story describing the circumstances of his scarred smile. In a conversation with Harvey Dent, the Joker was almost compassionate with Harvey as he put his own spin on Harvey's plight.

Why would I want to like a guy who consistently showed no mercy toward anyone and demonstrated time and again his propensity to manipulate others for his sadistic goals? Why? I'm not sure, but I have a few further observations:
  • I want to believe the best in others. This was demonstrated earlier this year and you can read about that here. Not everyone is so trusting and certainly not everyone should be trusted. But I find myself wanting others to demonstrate (even in a contrived movie/story) a changed life so much that I have hopes for change when no change is humanly possible.

  • I have a really short memory. Seriously short. The Joker opens the movie in a manipulative display of violence. Then, he kills another with a pencil (yuck). Yet, later after further sadistic killings, he describes the first version of the "scarred smile" story and I find myself sympathizing with him. Whuh??

What are the lessons here?

  • I cannot see into the heart of another. Period. Only God can.

  • I cannot "change" another. And, even their own attempts are likely to fail. Only God can change a life - especially one so evil as the Joker demonstrated.

  • It's difficult, if not impossible, for me to successfully discern evil from good. The only way I'm able to discern evil from good is to rely on God's resources to guide me - His Spirit - as I fear the LORD and expect His promised wisdom.

  • Christ's command to be shrewd as snakes is as important to remember and put into practice as His command to be innocent as doves.

Your thoughts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Storehouse of Goodness

Lessons of Trust

Who is your king?