The Shack

The Shack, by William P. Young, challenged me in many ways. And, although I probably need to read it again to fully grasp my reactions to it, I offer these thoughts:
  • The tragedy upon which the book is based was really hard to for me to deal with. I understand how the tragedy must be so very tragic, because of it's importance in the rest of the book as the father's anguish over the event is addressed. Still, this "Great Sadness" was at times overwhelming for me.
  • The Trinity is presented in a very unique way, to say the least. And, because the Trinity is, for me, difficult to understand, much less describe, I hesitate to criticize. Regardless, however, anthropomorphisms (applying human characteristics to God) are always difficult when trying to represent the Spirit or the Father. With Jesus, it's more clear, of course.
  • The unity of the Trinity, clearly represented in the book, is most comforting and appealing.
  • The book's cover quote from Eugene Peterson equates the book's impact upon this generation with John Bunyan's impact on his generation with his book, Pilgrim's Progress. That's quite a comparison. And, I guess I can't refute it because none from Bunyan's generation is available to discuss this. But, still...
  • The discussion about hierarchy was difficult. The implication was that there was no need or evidence of hierarchy until after the fall of man. This further implies that hierarchy is a result of sin. Mmm. Hierarchy was evident before the fall in that God commanded man and man disobeyed God. If there was no hierarchy, then God would not have had the authority to banish man from the garden. Also, the Bible is clear about Who is in charge, yet today. And, it's not you and me. Further, one day every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!
  • There is a dialogue in the book where Papa (part of the Trinity representing the Father) says that "I've never placed an expectation on you or anyone else." The point is that expectations are predicated on the "expecter" not knowing how the one under expectation will react. Of course, God can see beyond all that. Therefore, following this logic, He would have no expectations of anyone. I know we're dancing on the edges of grammar and syntax, but...really? Seriously, of course God has expectations of His children. And, while He's NOT disappointed because He already knows the outcome, He is grieved when we sin. And, He mourns the result of our sin.
  • Along with expectations, there is this statement: "you won't find the word responsibility in the Scriptures." Ok. That may be true. Trinity isn't in there either. But, still...they're in there. When the Holy Spirit, through Paul, admonishes me as a husband to lay down my life in love for my bride as Christ did for His, this is a responsibility. Indeed, when I am commanded by Christ to love my brothers and sisters in Christ, this has become my responsibility - not because I have to, but because I get to. It's a privilege to have this responsibility, not a burden.
  • The book challenged me to look for God in everything. He's not the cause of everything - like sin, for example. However, He is always there. Period. My life should reflect this truth.
  • My relationship with God - Father, Son, and Spirit - is the most important of my everlasting and eternal life. Bar none. This was what grabbed me the strongest. God loves me. I don't need a man-written book to tell me that because the Bible does. But, it was such a precious and comforting reminder.

As more thoughts come to me, I may share more later. All in all, I encourage the mature to read this and decide for themselves what it means and doesn't mean. However, just like the Bereans did with Paul, we must check with Scripture to ensure we understand what fits and what doesn't.

Comments

Kristin Baker said…
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! I blogged about it so many times when I first read it, and it still blows my mind. I get so excited when I hear that others have read it to, almost like finding out you had a secret brother or sister you didn't know about (you know minus being a little miffed at your parents for philandering . .. ) : )

Popular posts from this blog

The Storehouse of Goodness

Lessons of Trust

Who is your king?