One Month to Live: Day 2

Day 2: Roller Coaster.

In this chapter, the Shooks offer a metaphor of a rickety roller coaster and its impact upon the rider of fear, thrill, and unknown risk. I can think of my own roller coaster experiences and how I enjoyed them as a kid and still enjoy them. However, my view of my own mortality is far more palpable and tangible than it was when I was younger.

I can remember taking my 9 year-old Isaac on his first ride on such a coaster. Tall for his age, Isaac easily passed the height limit and was excited along with all of us for his first experience on the Beast. In my eyes, the Beast still ranks at the top of the thrilling rides in my life. However, looking through Isaac's eyes as we neared the top of the first hill, I saw something else entirely. Isaac was petrified. He wanted one thing and that alone: that he should get off. Now.

He held his composure all through the ride and off the exit ramp before he erupted in tears, vowing never, ever to get on that again.

I have two thoughts on this after reading this day's chapter. First, the thing about roller coasters and other thrilling adventures like them is that we know they're coming and typically have the choice whether we're going to get on or not. Similarly, there are adventures in our lives that we have, more or less, the choice whether to engage or not. However, most of our adventures, welcome or unwelcome, are presented without option. We must ride the ride. The only option we have remaining is our attitude and approach to the adventure and those riding along side us.


Second, and this came out strong in the chapter, is that as we choose what in life we risk, how purposeful are we in those choices? I have seen this manifest itself in my life and the lives of my children where the primary motivators for this important choice is fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of loss, fear of pain, fear of embarrassment, and other fears outweigh our fear of the LORD. So, the question I'm asking myself and ask you to ask yourself is: what am I missing out on because I'm afraid of the wrong things?


From the book, the questions asked:

1) If you were certain your life as you know it would end in a few weeks, what would be your biggest regret? Why?

2) In what are of your life are you suffering from the Someday Syndrome? Make a decision today never again to use the phrase "someday, when things settle down." Realize that today is your someday.

3) Instead of a roller coaster, what symbol or metaphor would you choose to describe what your life would look like if you were fully engaged?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Storehouse of Goodness

Lessons of Trust

Who is your king?