Ode to Fred

Today I was privileged to teach one of our Sunday School classes. Whenever I teach, I like to spend a few hours the previous day getting ready, speaking through what I feel God leading me to say, as I pray through the lessons He's teaching me so that I can teach others. Speaking to the class today, I was warmly greeted and, for the most part, intently listened to.

I suspect that Fred Winters did the same thing this past week - going to God in prayer, studying the scriptures, searching for illustrations, pinning down how his listeners might take the lessons and apply them in their lives. This morning, he drove to the church - perhaps early ahead of his wife and daughters so that he might finish his spiritual preparations for the privilege of sharing God's Word with those who have ears to hear.

During the 8:15 service, I wonder what he was thinking when a man came up the center aisle toward the front of the church. Did Fred know him? Was Fred wanting to help him?

Fred used his Bible to shield himself from the bullets showered upon him. But it wasn't enough. Fred was pronounced dead on arrival at the local hospital.

I didn't know Fred and still know very little about him. But, I mourn his death. Please join me in praying for the well-being and continued protection of his bride, Cindy, and daughters, Alysia and Cassidy. I can only imagine what they're going through.

And, pray for the members of his church. Pray that God isn't somehow blamed for this - as if He was asleep at the switch. God, the One who created Fred and whom Fred served, was not unaware nor is He now absent. God is well aware of how it feels to lose One precious to Himself.

As for the implications of security in our church, we are already aware of many potential risks each weekend service brings. However, with the help of experienced law enforcement, we are also moving toward more in-depth security to ensure the safety all who come to worship the most high God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Storehouse of Goodness

Lessons of Trust

Who is your king?