The Jack Russell Terrorist

About 4 years ago, the boys purchased another dog after we had grieved over the death of our Retriever-German-Shepherd mix dog (Cindy-girl) for a few months. Of all the dogs I've owned, the best experiences have been with retrievers. Against my better judgment, I agreed to this purchase. We did our research and thought we understood the high-energy frenetic nature of these dogs. We had no idea.

This is Jackie's picture. She seems calm now, but don't let that fool you. In a moment (or less), she can turn from the tranquil to the insane. This dog reacts (freaks) over the following catalytic events:
  • Public displays of affection. No overt PDA. Period. We will test this as a family by having a group hug and listen as the barking begins and all semblance of rational thinking leaves her.
  • Loud noises (i.e., doorbells, yelling, laughing (sometimes)).
  • Catches sight of her tail. This sparks spinning that can last some time.
  • Gets to go in her kennel.
  • Finds her ball.
  • And, so many more.
Interestingly enough, somehow God uses this little dynamo to teach me.
  • As I watch her obsess over things (like her tail), I realize how many times I let something small loom too large in my vision and, as a result, I lose perspective.
  • Listening to the noise she makes for no apparent reason, I get a glimpse of how we can all be loud - when we don't know what else to do - when we should just be quiet and listen to what God has to say.
  • Watching her chase her ball, I learn that if there is something worth focusing on, then go after it with every fiber of what God has given you.
  • When you need to rest, take your ball, get away from those throwing it, find some cool grass, and lie down.
  • Figure out who is in charge (pack leader) and follow Him - always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Storehouse of Goodness

Lessons of Trust

Who is your king?