Be God's Man - Part 2!

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. (Psalm 1:1-3)

I have had repeated conversations lately regarding the importance of seeking God's power as He calls us to be His own. In a previous post, I wrote of this importance - and its difficulty.  Since then, I read Pastor John Piper's approach to avoiding the besetting sins that trip us up.

He writes here of how this approach helps with our approach to lust.  However, Pastor John's later writing rightly applies this to any thinking that leads us beyond the boundaries of God's moral will for us.  Here is a summary from Pastor Piper:

"I go on the attack with A.N.T.H.E.M.

AVOID.
NO! Say NO! within five seconds.
TURN to something magnificent, like Christ crucified.
HOLD the pure thing in the mind until the temptation is gone.
ENJOY the greater pleasure of the blood-bought promises of God.
MOVE on to meaningful Christ-exalting activity.

There is nothing passive in my will when the lion of lust comes out of the bushes. I don’t lie down and wait for a miracle. I act the miracle."**

I hope you find this as helpful as I have when in the thick of the Spiritual Battle.

**Piper, John "Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Storehouse of Goodness

Lessons of Trust

Who is your king?