It's not about you.

Now Joseph was well-built and handsome, and after a while his master's wife took notice of Joseph and said, "Come to bed with me!" But he refused. "With me in charge," he told her, "my master does not concern himself with anything in the house; everything he owns he has entrusted to my care. No one is greater in this house than I am. My master has withheld nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?" Genesis 39:6-9

Joseph, sold into slavery by his brothers, puts his family training into practice and rises to the head of the household of Potiphar, a royal official in Egypt.  Potiphar's wife notices Joseph and wants him for herself.  Joseph is confronted with a decision.

There were several responses he could have given, and I group them into three lists: me, others, and God.

From the "me" box, Joseph could have pulled out a response that would resonate with each of us: self-preservation. "I won't do this wicked thing because I could get caught and be punished or even killed!" Does this sound familiar? Remember what Jacob, Joseph's dad, said when his mom Rebekah encouraged him to deceive dad and take the blessing of the birthright? "But my brother Esau is a hairy man, and I'm a man with smooth skin. What if my father touches me? I would appear to be tricking him and would bring down a curse on myself rather than a blessing." (Genesis 27:11-12)  Jacob was thinking of Jacob.

From the "others" category, Joseph could have used this one: "I won't do this wicked thing because I would be dishonoring your husband Potiphar, who trusts me."  Here's another one that might be familiar to us. Joseph's oldest brother Reuben, when all the brothers wanted to kill Joseph, said, "'...don't lay a hand on him.' Reuben said this to rescue him from them and take him back to his father." (Genesis 37:22)  Reuben was thinking of someone else: Jacob, his father.

No, Joseph pulled his response from an often avoided list: God.  "How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?"

Having an inner conviction like this is rare.  It's easy for us to use the first two lists for our responses because they are often beneficial - even wise.  Don't drink too much because it might become a habit and you'll become an alcoholic. Don't cheat on your wife/husband because she/he and your family would be deeply hurt by it. Both of these are wise truths.

But what if it's only done once (or occasionally) and no one knows or sees the impact? Or, what if actions (especially of an intimate nature) are consensual and everyone seems to be okay with it?  What then?

Dear reader, if you are a Christ-follower - born again by the Spirit, then you have a great example for you in Joseph on an approach that God has set you apart to follow.  Christ has saved you (Titus 3:5).  As a disciple, it will cost you everything (Luke 14:33).

For Joseph, he seemed to understand this.  It wasn't about him or anyone else.  His main focus was God.  His decisions reflected it. He declared this to Potiphar's wife and stayed away from her.  He eventually was thrown into prison after she framed him.  But, that didn't stop Joseph from focusing on that which pleases the One who called him.

The rest of the story tells us that, as Joseph continued to humble himself, God elevated him to a stature beyond his brothers, just as Joseph's dreams foretold. But, his success wasn't the main theme of the story.

Above culture, family, or our dreams and desires comes the will of God.

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time." 1 Peter 5:6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is your king?

Lessons of Trust

The Storehouse of Goodness