Plans? What plans?

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Next to John 3:16, to many Christ followers this verse may be the most recognizable verse in all of the Bible.  Why? Because it honors the sovereignty of God while also reminding us that He has our ultimate good at the top of His priority list, especially when we're going through tough trials.

As with most verses in the Bible, if we take one verse - or even a couple verses - outside its context, we run the risk of changing the original meaning or, in this case, not seeing the whole picture.

Imagine if you, your family, and your entire community was ripped out of your homeland and sent to a distant land.  Against your will and against all hope, God speaks to you and reminds you who you really are - a child of His people!  You are one of His!

Through the prophet Jeremiah, He sends you a message. "Settle down. Make families. Multiply! I have plans for you to prosper and to enter in to the future I've prepared!"

Wow. That sounds good, doesn't it?

But, there's a point to all of this.  Look at verses 12-14: "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

Keep calling on the Lord! Keep seeking Him with ALL YOUR HEART! You can trust God!

I believe this message, sent originally to the exiled Israelites, is an encouragement for His children now. But! Think through what His plans are for you:

To save you from sin...
So that you would live life to the full...
To set you apart for His purposes...

Seek the Lord and He will find you to bring you back from the captivity of sin, death, depression, sickness, despair, fear, regret, and pointless wandering. He wants to bring you back to where He wanted you all along: by His side. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Storehouse of Goodness

Lessons of Trust

Who is your king?