Judging the Law or the Facts?

After that whole generation had been gathered to their fathers, another generation grew up, who knew neither the LORD nor what he had done for Israel. Then the Israelites did evil in the eyes of the LORD and served the Baals. They forsook the LORD, the God of their fathers, who had brought them out of Egypt. They followed and worshiped various gods of the peoples around them. They provoked the LORD to anger because they forsook him and served Baal and the Ashtoreths. Judges 2:10-13

As I understand it, there are three primary duties of a United States citizen:
  • Somehow serve the country, state, county, and/or city in which you live
  • Vote in elections
  • Serve on a jury
This week, I had the opportunity to serve as a potential jury member. As with any government led activity, it was slow and tedious - and, I was glad to have followed the advice of my wife and brought something to read as I waited. While I was not seated as a juror, I did experience the jury selection process and learned something from the presiding judge regarding the duties of a juror and a judge.

The judge will judge the Law. The jury will judge the Facts.

Interesting.

In the same way, I thought that Christ followers are to look over the evidence and judge the facts. For example, how closely are we following the Law of Christ? Or, are we? How are we living our lives in response to what He has already done for us as Savior and Lord? What will the conversation be, in the end, when we meet Him face to face? Of course, as we "judge the Facts" of our lives (our motivations, thoughts, words, and actions), we recognize that Christ will be the final judge and His judgment is just and pure.

I also thought that what we are not to do, however, is judge the Law. Yet, we do it all the time. While the Bible is relevant for today - even though it is centuries old - we cast it against the common culture and diminish its significance. Gossip is an industry. Envy, jealousy, and coveting have become accepted and encouraged as normal. Parents are disrespected, dishonored. and disregarded. Relationships are redefined between people against the teachings of God.

The judge judges the Law.

What laws of God are we judging instead of simply following?

W
hoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” - John 14:21

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Storehouse of Goodness

Lessons of Trust

Who is your king?