What's in a Name?

In the psalm of the shepherd, Psalm 23, David writes that the LORD leads him down paths of righteousness for the sake of the LORD's Name, "He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake." This is not a request as much as it is a statement. God leads David (and all His children) in paths of righteousness for the sake of His Name.

This was one of those "Ah-Ha!" moments where I was again reminded that it isn't all about us. In fact, it is rarely all about me or you. This statement demonstrates that it is, and always has been, about God. He leads us on paths of righteousness so that His Name will be honored, glorified, and given praise. The secondary result is that we are guided to live lives that are honorable, praiseworthy, and the best paths we can take for our eternity.

Jesus alludes to it in Matthew 5:20 when, in His Sermon on the Mount, he says, "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." As we lives lives resulting from God's guidance, others praise God!

Question: how are we honoring, or dishonoring, the Name of God? Some would say that I've dishonored His Name by writing it completely rather than "G*d". I'm thankful that He knows my heart and knows I'm writing this for His Name's sake.  Others would say I'm making a big deal out of nothing. The Bible says otherwise.  Here are just a few examples from the NIV Bible:
 
Psalm 31:3 Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me.

Psalm 79:9 Help us, O God our Savior, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name’s sake.

Psalm 108:9 Yet [the LORD] saved them for his name’s sake, to make his mighty power known.

Psalm 109:21 But you, O Sovereign LORD, deal well with me for your name’s sake; out of the goodness of your love, deliver me.

Psalm 143:11 For your name’s sake, O LORD, preserve my life; in your righteousness, bring me out of trouble.


Bottom line: The LORD's Name is important to Him. Therefore, when we act, when we speak, and even when we think, let His Name be glorified.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Storehouse of Goodness

Lessons of Trust

Who is your king?